Friday, 22 March 2013

My Hair Products

I just wanted to share the hair products I use at the moment. I know all hair forums, and most hair bloggers advise that anyone on a healthy hair journey should try to avoid being a product junkie. So for those in Dar es Salaam who are interested in the products I use here they are, and I have also included where I got them.

My Commercially Made Products:

Relaxer:

I use the Dark and Lovely Relaxer kit (regular strength). I have always used either Dark and Lovely or Beautiful Beginnings Relaxer kits (my hair is used to SoftSheenCarson). However, I am considering switching to Dr Miracles. I always use a no lye formula since my scalp is very sensitive. The last time I bought my relaxer kit was in December 2012 at Game.

Deep Conditioner:



I use the Vatika Deep Conditioner. I bought it at Shoppers Supermarket Mikocheni for TSH 14,000. A bargain for that amount. I love it because it makes my new growth more manageable. I am definitely repurchasing this product.

NB: Both my shampoos contain sulfates. My budget is too tight for me to buy a sulfate free shampoo. So I just do one wash with the shampoo, starting with my scalp, the letting the runoff when I rinse clean my ends.

Protein Shampoo:



I am using the Protein Feed Repair and Protect Shampoo for damaged hair. Its a South African product, and I bought it in Game at Mlimani City. Relaxing is a way of damaging the bonds in African hair so that the hair can be straightened. I use this shampoo as a way of strengthening my hair. I love it as it cleans my scalp, which is all I use it for.

Moisturising Shampoo:

Dar es Salaam is very hot and humid (it's a bit like living in a steamer), but my hair gets a bit dry quickly because of the air conditioning in my office. I recently bought the Clairol Herbal Essences Hello Hydration shampoo for dry damaged hair at Shoppers Supermarket Mikocheni. I haven't used it yet, but once I do I will review it here.

Coconut Oil:

I use the Dabur Vatika Enriched Coconut oil which I bought at Shoppers Supermarket Mikocheni. It may be processed but the first ingredient on the list is coconut oil, which means that that is the ingredient with the highest percentage in the product (forgive my awkward English). It also has lecithin (an emulsifier), water, lemon oil, henna and amla oil. I usually use it when sealing my hair after moisturising it. It smells great, and helps keep my hair moist.

Hot Oil Treatment:

I use the VO5 Hot Oil Moisture Soak Elixir for dry, damaged hair. I bought this product at Shoppers Supermarket Mikocheni. I use it only once a month (when I do my black tea rinse) because it makes my hair feel a bit stiff. I only have one tube of the oil left, and I don't think I will repurchase it because of the way my hair feels after I use it.


My Natural Products

Glycerine:

I couldn't find a mineral oil free leave in conditioner or moisturiser, so I decided to follow the advice given on some hair forums to make my own. I use 1/3 glycerine and 2/3 water to make my own spritz, which I spray onto my scalp and hair every morning before sealing with an oil. After all water is the best moisturiser for hair, and glycerine attracts water from the air making it the best natural moisturiser I can find. I got my glycerine at Shoppers Supermarket Mikocheni, in the aisle with all the medicines and bandages.

Castor Oil:

Castor oil is one of the most ppopular oils used by almost all of the ladies I have seen on healthy hair journeys. I get my cold pressed castor oil at Shoppers Supermarket Mikocheni. Cold pressed is the best since it's chemical composition has not been altered during extraction either by heat or chemicals. One of my favourite oils for sealing after moisturising.

Olive Oil (Extra Virgin):

Olive oil is yet another healthy hair journey favourite. I get it in the medicine aisle of Shoppers Supermarket Mikocheni (because I can find it in the tiny bottles which are cheaper). Extra virign olive oil again is the best to use since its in most pure form. I use my olive oil mainly for pre-poos (I mix it with a random conditioner my mum takes from hotels and leave it on my hair overnight under a shower cap). I rarely use it for sealing, and if I do I mix it with my other oils.

Almond Oil:

I like using my almond oil (mixed with my other oils) for sealing. I also use it in my spritz for my tracks under my weave (mixed with water and glycerine) at the moment. I bought it at Shoppers Supermarket Mikocheni, and I don't use it as much as my other oils. I only bought it when I couldn't find castor oil, and it worked well as a replacement.

Apple Cider Vinegar:

This is one of my newer purchases. I haven't used it much yet. I currently use it diluted in a mix of water, glycerine and almond oil to spray my hair under my weave, as one of my attempts to reduce the itch on my scalp before I wash my hair this weekend. Only a little will be enough as it can make hair stiff if its in large quantities. I will give it a proper review after I use it as a rinse when I take out my weave in 2 weeks time.



No comments:

Post a Comment