Monday, 15 July 2013

Check In after A While

It's been a while since I lasted updated this blog. Well, like I mentioned in my last post, I was travelling, and I didn't have any internet access for almost 2 weeks and so I could not update. Add in a lot of stress, being sick and ehaustion, I really neglected my hair since my last update.

When I packed for my trip, I had castor oil (since I was going to a colder place, and couldn't use my beloved coconut oil), my moisturizing spritz (conditioner, water, honey, olive oil and glycerin) in two bottles, my leave in (VO5 moisturizing leave in), my clarifying conditioner and my widetoothed comb. And since I had some seriously crazy growth, I had decided to retouch my hair while I was in Zim so I had also packed my relaxer kit (Dark and Lovely), protein DC, hair clips, and applicator brush.

I had estimated that the trip would take about 2 and a half days to complete. It ended up taking a total of 7 days. When I left my apartment in Dar es Salaam, I had cornrows, and I wore my new wig on top. Due to technical difficulties, and the fact that by Saturday we were still only 200km out of Dar es Salaam, I decided to co-wash my hair and get moisture back in before I PS'ed. I did threading, and before threading each section (4 sections in the end), I did the LOC method, trying to get many layers of moisture in before sealing with my castor oil. I kept this PS in (covered by a bandanna) until when I finally got home (in Zimbabwe) on Thursday morning.

On Thursday morning, I decided to end my stretch and texlax my hair. I first protected my ends with a mix of  my clarifying conditioner and castor oil. I based my hairline with vaseline, and based my scalp with castor oil.  Since I use a no-lye relaxer, when I mixed in the activator cream, I also added a little conditioner to weaken the relaxer. I applied the cream to my NG only, starting with the left quadrant at the back and ending with the  left quadrant at the left. I applied the relaxer using my fingers (I find it easier this way, and my hands were coated in vaseline for protection). I smoothed the relaxer for about ten minutes with my fingers before starting on rinsing it out. I first rinsed out the relaxer cream with lukewarm water. After getting the relaxer cream out, I started shampooing with the neutralizing shampoo. I shampooed about four times, until the bottle of shampoo was empty. After shampooing, I did a protein DC. I mixed my Vatika Naturals DC with and egg, and put this onto my hair. After applying this mixture, I covered with a shower cap, and sat in the sun for a while trying to get warm, and to also have a little heat for the DC (it was pretty cold. Temperatures were around 12`C). I let the DC sit for 20 minutes before rinsing, and wrapping in a t-shirt to dry. By this time I was so exhausted that I only managed to take off the towel and nap for the rest of the day.

Now on Friday morning I had to go into town. Thanks to my exhaustion the previous day, I hadn't combed my hair at all. I started detangling in sections, first spraying on my moisturizing spritz, before applying my leave in, and then combing with my wide toothed comb. After detangling, I would seal with my castor oil. I did have a lot of shedding, but after considering that I hadn't combed my hair since my last proper wash day, the hair I lost doesn't seem to be too excessive. Anyway, I am liking my progress. it doesn't seem to be too much, but considering that I am about 5'10", I just about have a normal growth rate. I think I mwill make it to my goal of APL by December. Even after mistreating my hair after the texlax, its still extra thick and looks so healthy. The looks of envy I got while walking on the streets of Harare make this hair journey worthwhile. Most people thought it was an extremely good weave, when it was actually my own shoulder length hair. I will do a proper length check at the end of the month with my hair fully straightened.

Now for today, I had DC'ed overnight with my moisturizing DC, so that I can get my moisture/protein balance, well, more balanced. I slept under a shower cap, held down by my trusty pair of old stockings. I rinsed out the DC during my shower this morning and t-shirt dried while dressing. I applied coconut oil when my hair was just damp, and bunned it for work (no combing, major win for me). After work, I will take down the bun, and massage my scalp with tea tree oil before MS'ing for the night.  My routine is back in action, and I can't wait until my wash day on Saturday, though I may co-wash during the week.

That's it from me dolls, laters....

No comments:

Post a Comment