Monday, 30 September 2013

Wash Day, Protective Styling and Other Hair Tales

Lol, that title right there sounds like a collection of short stories. Blame my bookworm habits for that title, I spent much of my weekend reading and watching The White Queen.

My wash day went pretty well. I was supposed to travel for work on Sunday, so I decided to do most of my wash day business on Friday and Saturday. Here's what went down.

Friday
1. Prepoo'ed during the day with avocado oil on the length of my hair (I really wanted to finish that bottle of avocado oil)
2. Shampooed with sulfate free Infusium 23 shampoo in 3 sections
3. Tea rinse (black, green, peppermint, hibiscus tea and rosemary infused water). Let tea sit for 5 minutes before applying DC
4. I had very little DC left over in my house so I decided to mix up a bunch of stuff into it to stretch the DC. I mixed my L'Oreal Deep Nourishing Sulfate Free System Deep Conditioner with an avocado, Tresemme conditioner, avocado oil, castor oil, shea butter, eucalyptus oil and rose oil. I applied this mixture without rinsing off the tea. It didn't have much slip. I covered my hair with a plastic bag, old pair of stockings, shower cap and woolly hat for my overnight DC. Only problem with this plan was that a lot of water dripped down my neck during the night.

Saturday
5. Rinsed out DC with cold water.
6. Wrapped hair in a t-shirt to absorb moisture
7. When my hair was just damp, I applied my leave in (VO5 moisturizing leave in conditioner) and sealed with coconut oil. I detangled with a wide tooth comb, before air drying in a ponytail.

I decided to go shopping for the rest of the stuff I needed for my climb up Mt Kilimanjaro. Then I realized, I still needed to get my hair into a protective style coz I really wouldn't have time to LOC my hair up that mountain. I asked my friend to help me find a salon that could install box braids really fast. He took me to a salon in his neighbourhood. I bought 5 packs of Prima Abuja lines long braids. This was my first time going to a stylist since my last weave at the end of May.

The stylist started installing them at 2pm and finished with the installation at 9pm. She didn't pull the braids too tightly, however she did braid the teeny tiny hairs in my edges that had been making a comeback thanks to my use of castor oil. She also wasn't really patient with detangling my growth and texlaxed hair. All she was talking about was how I really needed to get my roots touched up. I couldn't tell her to stop ripping through my roots with her comb thanks to the language barrier. And I cringed when she came to my hair with a pair of scissors, even though she was trimming the ends of the braids. Overall, it was not a bad experience getting the braids installed.

I will take down the braids after about 6 weeks, or maybe at the end of November. I just hope this style will help me retain length for my end year goal of APL.

The castor oil challenge on hairlista went live on Saturday. I am participating at the ultimate level. I just hope this will help me in keeping my hair healthy and also in length retention.

This is my last post until mid October when I come back from mountain climbing. Until then, ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment