Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Hair Babble and Other Stories

This last week was a busy one for me. First of all, the World Cup trophy was coming to Tanzania and I was part of the team organizing everything on the ground. We had a big dinner on Friday, an all day event on Saturday and a party on Sunday. Just when I was this busy, things got a bit more complicated for me. I was involved in a car accident on Saturday evening and life became more insane. I had to meet all my work obligations and still find time to go to the police station and get all the paperwork sorted out. I also have to drive all my stuff back home this coming weekend because my contract is ending and I have to move out of my apartment before the lease ends. I really don't know how I will make time for all this.

Anyway, thanks to my Friday event, I ended up having my wash day on Thursday evening/Friday morning. I really wanted to flat iron my hair for the event, so I decided to do a clarifying shampoo just to get my hair clean enough for the event. Here's what I did:

1. Prepoo during the day with castor oil and coconut oil
2. Shampoo scalp with HE Fresh Balance clarifying shampoo. Used runoff to clean my ends. Rinsed
3. Conditioned with Tresemme Intense Hydration Conditioner. Rinsed
4. Tea rinse (1 bag black tea + 2 bags each green, peppermint, hibiscus, fennel & chamomile tea + infusion of 1 tablespoon of rosemary). Used the catch method and rinsed 4 times with tea
5. DC with Vatika Naturals Deep Conditioning treatment for dull, dry hair overnight
6. Rinsed out with cool water and t-shirt dried till hair was damp. Applied leave in (VO5 moisturizing leave in) and applied heat protectant. Blow dried on cool setting for 5 minutes. Air dried completely in a low bun

In the evening I started flat ironing my hair. It is definitely at grazing APL but the length is not noticeable coz of the frizzing up that's happening thanks to the high humidity here. For example, on Friday night, after I finished flat ironing my hair was at grazing APL and I wore it down. 2 hours later, my hair had shrunk to CBL :(. I know shrinkage has to be part of my life now after I decided to transition to texlaxing, but its hard to get used to having your hair curl up when you want to show off the fruits of your hard labor.

Like I said earlier this past week has been crazy, and the craziness won't let up any time soon. I won't have much time to do anything with my hair. Yesterday, my hair was so dry and lifeless that I had to GHE. I moisturized with HE LTR leave in conditioner (review coming soon) and just covered my hair overnight with my shower cap and woolly hat. This morning, my hair had more life in it, and was perkier. I sealed in the moisture with castor oil, massaged my edges and did a low bun for work.

I have to do another wash day during this week. Maybe tomorrow night. I will be driving all day on Saturday, and I really will be too tired to do much with my hair this weekend.

Definitely no longer using heat until March 2014. I have been a heat junkie in November, I used heat twice in one month (gasp). Definitely not good. So I  am on a personal no heat challenge for the next 4 months. By the time my no heat challenge ends, I will have enough growth to warrant heat usage to at least minimize tangling and matting.

Ciao,

No comments:

Post a Comment