Wednesday, 12 March 2014

"I Have No Hair in My Kitchen!!!"

So an acquaintance of mine was complaining of how the hair in her "kitchen" never grows. I asked her about her hair habits and she says that:

1. When she relaxes, she relaxes it bone straight, to the extent of over processing (even previously relaxed ends)
2. When she gets a protective style she doesn't do anything to her hair after
3. She never does a DC or an oil treatment, except when she has her touch up done

When I heard all this, I had my own flashback. As recently as 2012, I had neck length relaxed hair everywhere except in my kitchen. My kitchen had hair about 1 inch long that was completely natural. This was my hair just before I had a big chop and started my HHJ in 2012. My hair at this point in time was double processed (relaxed and colored), and I had major breakage because I didn't manage to do DC treatments on a regular basis for 4 weeks.

my messed up kitchen

The nape had always been a problem area for me. It was drier, the texture was kinkier and it was just the typical hard Mashona type kind of hair. Back when I had my hair over processed with each relaxer, the nape hair would always break off quickly, resulting in very little hair there.

Fast forward to 2 years later, and my nape is pretty healthy. The length of the hair at my nape is equal to the rest of the hair on my head. I managed to do this thanks to the following:

1. Starting off with a hair cut. My ends were pretty damaged as you can see in the photo above, but the growth coming in was strong and healthy. So to stop the damage from spreading to my healthy hair I had my mum cut off all my dead ends, and I started my hair journey with a TWA that was about 1 inch long.

2. Frequent and regular DC sessions. My hair thrives when I DC at least once a week. My hair is even healthier when I DC twice a week. The longest I can go without doing a DC and not experience a setback is 2 weeks. The DC provides moisture (especially in my extra dry kitchen) and also boosts my hair's strength. I have limited breakage when I DC frequently.

3. Avoiding overprocessing. I used to have my hair relaxed from root to end with every touch up I got. And because my hair is what is termed "resistant" the stylists used to let the relazxer sit for longer than what was stated in the instructions. Add in the combing with a small tooth comb, my hair was left in such a weak state that it just had to snap off when put under any stress at all. But thanks to texlaxing and long relaxer stretches, my hair never gets over processed now. Texlaxing leaves my hair with some strength and elasticity, while the long relaxer stretches help prevent relaxer overlapping. The hair strand has more strength and can withstand manipulation.

 Did you ever have nape issues? How did you solve them?








No comments:

Post a Comment