Monday, 28 April 2014

Wash Day Saga - Co-Wash Day

It seems like I am co-washing a lot more now instead of the ''proper'' wash day that includes a shampoo, DC and all that jazz. To be honest, I was running on less than 4 hours of sleep on Sunday, and I really didn't have the time and energy to go through the whole hullabaloo of a full wash day. But I didn't want to neglect my hair, its winter and I want to retain all my length and add some more, so I decided to just co-wash and call it a day. And since I'm transitioning, I want to start building a routine that easily works with natural hair, so that when I become fully natural, I won't be as overwhelmed as the last time I was natural.

Here's what happened during my wash day:

1. My hair was a hot mess on Sunday morning and I had to do something to make it look presentable for Mass. So, I heated up my coconut oil, applied the hot oil to my hair and detangled with my wide tooth comb in 4 sections. I ended up with a nice (and neat) ponytail for church.

2. After church, I grabbed my bottle of Tresemme Naturals conditioner, and applied it to my hair in four sections. I started by applying it to the roots and texlaxed hair, before adding it to my ends. I covered my hair in two shower caps and my heat processing cap. I left my hair alone for 4 hours so that my hair could really absorb the conditioner.

3. I rinsed out the conditioner with cold water, and massaged my scalp with the water running. I t-shirt dried my hair for 3 hours.

4. Since I am resisting the temptation to break out my blowdryer, I decided to stretch my hair using African threading. I first picked out a section, added my leave in (Twisted Sista curl defining cream) and then detangled with my wide tooth comb from ends to roots. When The hair was properly detangled, I started threading that section. I ended up with 6 sections for bed.

5. This morning my hair was still slightly damp. So I decided to LCO using the moisture that was already in my hair as my liquid. I used the Elasta QP olive oil and mango butter moiturizer as my cream, and castor oil on top to lock everything in. I ended up styling my hair in a low bun.

All in all, a great wash day, and my hair feels soft and moisturised.


The Wash Day Experience


No comments:

Post a Comment