Monday, 14 April 2014

Wash Day Saga: Co-wash

This weekend, I had yet another lazy washday. I was exhausted after doing Lent community service with the other youths from my church, and I really didn't feel like making a fuss over my hair. On the other hand, to stick to my Winter Challenge regimen, I had to at least deep condition. So I decided to do a DC/co-wash, and get it all over with at once.

I first put coconut oil all over my box braids (to prevent hygral fatigue and to give my hair an extra shot of protein to strengthen my line of demarcation). I covered my hair with my heat processing cap for 2 hours to let the coconut oil really penetrate my hair.

I then applied my Tresemme Naturals moisturizing conditioner on top of the coconut oil. I let it all marinate under my heat processing cap for another 2 hours, before rinsing out with cool water. I t-shirt dried my hair for about 30 minutes, and then let it fully airdry when I left the house to hang out with a friend. I also redid the box braids on my nape, as there was some hair coming out and tangling which wasn't pretty.  Later on that evening, I did a scalp massage with the Wild Growth oil, and my inversion. This morning, I moiturized with the VO5 daily leave in moisturizing cream, and sealed with castor oil, before throwing on my wig cap and wig. I think I will wear my hair out for Easter (Thursday to Monday) before going back into box braids again. I have now managed to wig it for 4 weeks, and hopefully I have retained length. I want to do a braid out for wor on Thursday (and see whether I can really rock it before including it into my style arsenal.

The long term stretch/transition is still going well. I'm not totally sure I want to call it a transition yet, since I may just chicken out. I will call it an indefinite stretch at the moment, and keep at it. I am now almost 22 weeks post, and the protective styling is definitely one thing that is helping me out the most. I think I am well on the way of achieving my April goal of stretching for up to 24 weeks.

Don't forget to join the #WashdayExperience linkup host by KLP from SavingourStrands and Jeni from JustGrowAlready.

The Wash Day Experience

How was your washday?

4 comments:

  1. Happy you still managed to wash your hair. 22 weeks post is really good! Good luck with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the long term PS'ing the deeper you get into a stretch. Congrats on making it thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mini wash! True love means that you pamper your hair even when you don't feel like it! Ha-ha! Congrats on making it 22 weeks post chica! What an accomplishment!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on stretch, I stretch as well usually 26 weeks ( I only relax my hair twice a year)

    ReplyDelete