Monday, 7 April 2014

Wash Day Saga - New Products, Old Techniques

Winter is definitely here. Yesterday was absolutely cold (at least for me) and this morning was even colder. Wash day almost didn't happen thanks to the weather, but after giving myself a talking to, I got down to serious hair washing business. I used a new product (ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo), and reintroduced an old technique (tea rinsing). So this is what happened yesterday...

1. Prepoo with coconut oil ( and also to protect my hair from the woollen hat I ended up wearing to church)
2. Shampoo with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. First impression, great shampoo. I didn't need to use a lot, and it lifted the build up in a snap.
3. Tea rinse (green tea, rooibos tea, linden tea and a lemon). The linden tea is a tea i found in our kitchen, most probably bought by my mum who is into herbal teas. According to Wikipedia "Active ingredients in the linden flowers include flavonoids (which act as antioxidants), volatile oils, and mucilaginous constituents (which soothe and reduce inflammation). The plant also contains tannins that can act as an astringent". 
4. Deep conditioned with Tresemme Naturals mixed with the very last bits of Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair under my heat processing cap for 2 hours.
5. Rinsed out the DC with cool; water, and t-shirt dried for and hour. 
6 I then sat down with my HE LTR and wide tooth comb and started taking down and plaiting the box braids all over again so that they look neater. I had very little shedding, though I ended my breaking my own hair because some of it had been braided into the wrong box braid :(
7. This morning I did a scalp massage with a sample bottle of Nubian Nature Hair Essence with Argan oil that I received from Jeenz. Review of this product will be up this week.

I am back under the wig regimen again. This cold weather that suddenly came over the weekend makes me just want to hide my hair. I am staying under these wigs all winter to keep warm throughout.

So that was my washday experience for 20 weeks post relaxer.

The Wash Day Experience
Join in the #washdayexperience with KLP and Keyda over at  SavingOurStrands.




5 comments:

  1. Great post. So informative. It's funny how all our hair needed was some TLC. I am glad I know how to take care of my hair now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate when braiding/unbraiding and you realize just a tiny bit of hair has gotten into the wrong braid! It's like do I just deal with losing those couple strands or unbraid and rebraid to fix it? Glad you still lost only a little hair tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! It happens to me all the time when I'm bantu knotting my hair.

      Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

      KLP | SavingOurStrands

      Delete
  3. Washing in box braids sounds like a brilliant idea. I recently co-washed with my hair in two braids and I saw a difference. I'll try this. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I was the only one that misses some hair when braiding. Sometimes I'm too tired to take down any hair that I just wrap those strands around their neighbours...lol!

    ReplyDelete