to barely any hair on my head (ok, about an inch of hair). Unfortunately, I wasn't really comfortable with a TWA so I don't have any pics from right after the BC that I can post. I also had a weave installed the next day (yes, that's how uncomfortable I was). Since my BC, I have made mistakes, had a couple of setbacks, but I am now APL and heading for BSB next month.
Just to give a brief recap of what I did since my BC, I protective styled like a crazy woman for the first 4 months, and I had excellent length retention. However, when I took out my weave in September 2012, I did not know what to do with my natural hair. I ended up going to the salon for a relaxer. Luckily for me, the stylist who did my relaxer was not one of the overprocessing brigade, since my hair was relatively healthy right after. I wore my hair out until I had a weave installed for my move to Tanzania for my new job.
I had my first setback in November 2012 when I took out my weave and went to the hotel salon to get cornrows done. The entire thing was a disaster, from how the stylist washed my hair (I had major tangles), to the detangling part (I lost so much hair) to the actual braiding (too tight). All because I did not speak up and tell the stylist to stop doing what they were doing. My hair line suffered the most as I had traction alopecia, and it is still fragile up to now.
My next setback came when I went to the salon in December 2012 for a touch up at about 14 weeks post. The stylist here combed relaxer onto my already relaxed hair, and I had severe overprocessing. Here, language barrier was the main issue. The stylist did not speak or understand English and I had barely any Swahili to make her I understand what I wanted. That's when I decided to DIY mostly. I managed to move from neck length (where I was stuck since my first relaxer) to shoulder length by March 2013. I got to CBL in May 2013, and worked on achieving APL in December 2013. I moved from natural to relaxed to texlaxed, and I am now transitioning to natural. The past 2 years have been great, and I hop to achieve waist length in 2 more years.
|length on 1 April 2014|
I decided to top up my product stash and get some new hair tools, so I went shopping :). My product haul included:
1. Heat process cap - Since I don't own a steamer, this is the best way for me at the moment to DC or prepoo with heat. I got it for $5 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza
2. ORS Hairepair conditioner - As a transitioner, one thing I will never have too much off is conditioner. I decided to try this one out, and see if it is worth putting into my rotation. Its a light protein, similar to ORS Repkenishing conditioner. I bought this sachet for $3 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza.
3. Henna - I have been meaning to try out henna for some time. I bought this one at Jeenz, Travel Plaza for $3
4. Wide tooth rat tail comb - I needed a rat tail comb for making partings, and got a wide tooth one that I can also use for detangling. I bought it for $0.50 on First Street from one of the vendors
5. Shower caps - I use shpwer caps as part of my DC using body heat strategy. I bought this pack of 8 for $8 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza
6. ORS Replenishing Conditioner - one of my favorite conditioners for DCs. I can use it weekly (even though ita a light protein) and not get protein overload. And the citrusy smell is amazeballs. Bought it for $12 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza
7. African Pride Dream Kids Olive Miracle Detangling Moisturizing Conditioner - I noticed when I got home that it has mineral oil, but no sweat really since I plan to use it as a prepoo mostly. I got it for $12 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza.
8. Brown scrunchie - I use scrunchies for most of my buns, and I decided an extra one won't hurt. I got it for $0.50 from a street vendor on First Street.
9. Flexi Rods - I am attending a wedding tomorrow, and I needed to get a styling tool that won't cause a hair setback. I decided on flexi rods since its no heat, and they won't snag on my hair. I bought 2 packs (sizes 3 and 4) for $10 a pack at a salon on the ground floor of Travel Plaza. I will be back with the results on Monday.
That's all from me, have a great weekend everyone.