Friday, 2 May 2014

2 Year Big Chop Anniversary + Product/Tool Haul

Yesterday was my 2 year big chop anniversary. Two years ago, I asked my mom to cut off all the damaged hair that was on my head, and I went from this:








to barely any hair on my head (ok, about an inch of hair). Unfortunately, I wasn't really comfortable with a TWA so I don't have any pics from right after the BC that I can post. I also had a weave installed the next day (yes, that's how uncomfortable I was). Since my BC, I have made mistakes, had a couple of setbacks, but I am now APL and heading for BSB next month.

Just to give a brief recap of what I did since my BC, I protective styled like a crazy woman for the first 4 months, and I had excellent length retention. However, when I took out my weave in September 2012, I did not know what to do with my natural hair. I ended up going to the salon for a relaxer. Luckily for me, the stylist who did my relaxer was not one of the overprocessing brigade, since my hair was relatively healthy right after. I wore my hair out until I had a weave installed for my move to Tanzania for my new job.
before relaxer

after relaxer

I had my first setback in November 2012 when I took out my weave and went to the hotel salon to get cornrows done. The entire thing was a disaster, from how the stylist washed my hair (I had major tangles), to the detangling part (I lost so much hair) to the actual braiding (too tight). All because I did not speak up and tell the stylist to stop doing what they were doing. My hair line suffered the most as I had traction alopecia, and it is still fragile up to now.

My next setback came when I went to the salon in December 2012 for a touch up at about 14 weeks post. The stylist here combed relaxer onto my already relaxed hair, and I had severe overprocessing. Here, language barrier was the main issue. The stylist did not speak or understand English and I had barely any Swahili to make her I understand what I wanted. That's when I decided to DIY mostly. I managed to move from neck length (where I was stuck since my first relaxer) to shoulder length by March 2013. I got to CBL in May 2013, and worked on achieving APL in December 2013. I moved from natural to relaxed to texlaxed, and I am now transitioning to natural. The past 2 years have been great, and I hop to achieve waist length in 2 more years.
length on 1 April 2014


I decided to top up my product stash and get some new hair tools, so I went shopping :). My product haul included:

1. Heat process cap - Since I don't own a steamer, this is the best way for me at the moment to DC or prepoo with heat. I got it for $5 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza



2. ORS Hairepair conditioner - As a transitioner, one thing I will never have too much off is conditioner. I decided to try this one out, and see if it is worth putting into my rotation. Its a light protein, similar to ORS Repkenishing conditioner. I bought this sachet for $3 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza.



3. Henna - I have been meaning to try out henna for some time. I bought this one at Jeenz, Travel Plaza for $3



4. Wide tooth rat tail comb - I needed a rat tail comb for making partings, and got a wide tooth one that I can also use for detangling. I bought it for $0.50 on First Street from one of the vendors


5. Shower caps - I use shpwer caps as part of my DC using body heat strategy. I bought this pack of 8 for $8 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza



6. ORS Replenishing Conditioner - one of my favorite conditioners for DCs. I can use it weekly (even though ita a light protein) and not get protein overload. And the citrusy smell is amazeballs. Bought it for $12 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza


7. African Pride Dream Kids Olive Miracle Detangling Moisturizing Conditioner - I noticed when I got home that it has mineral oil, but no sweat really since I plan to use it as a prepoo mostly. I got it for $12 at Jeenz, Travel Plaza.


8. Brown scrunchie - I use scrunchies for most of my buns, and I decided an extra one won't hurt. I got it for $0.50 from a street vendor on First Street.



9. Flexi Rods - I am attending a wedding tomorrow, and I needed to get a styling tool that won't cause a hair setback. I decided on flexi rods since its no heat, and they won't snag on my hair. I bought 2 packs (sizes 3 and 4) for $10 a pack at a salon on the ground floor of Travel Plaza. I will be back with the results on Monday.


That's all from me, have a great weekend everyone.


4 comments:

  1. Don't you just hate setbacks? A lot of people think that big chops mean you have to stay natural after you do it. No. Sometimes big chop means cutting off your damaged ends to start anew. Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your bc anniversary! Hair is looking great! I havent seen the heat cap..now I want one lol. Can't wait to see how the rods come out, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Yvette! You've really made a lot of progress. Can't wait to see how your flexi rod set turns out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great progress. It seems that your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete