Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Wash Day Saga - A Tale of Two Washes

I am laughing at myself right now. How do I come up with some of my wash day post titles? Well, the title does say it all, I did two washes in a really short space. Here's what happened:

On Saturday I was feeling lazy (again). So I did my hot oil treatment/prepoo with coconut oil as usual, and then put my DC (Tresemme Naturals + ORS Replenishing conditioner) on top, and covered everything up for about 5 hours. I rinsed out with cold water, t-shirt dried and then applied my leave in (Twisted sista curl activator cream). I sealed with my heat protectant (ORS heat protection serum) and set my hair with my flexi-rods. I blow dried my hair, and went to bed hoping for the best....

The next morning, as I was getting ready for Mass, I realized my hair STILL hadn't dried. So I ended up taking out the rods, and having yet another failed set. Later on in the day, my hair felt dry, crunchy and all sorts of horrible. I guess I celebrated an easy transition too early. I decided that I was going to re-wash my hair, so I did some twists in my hair in preparation for take 2.

I evaluated my wash day to see where I went wrong, and what I could do to correct the dryness. The only different product I used this wash day was the leave in. I checked the ingredients, and saw it had glycerin. I guess my hair doesn't like glycerin anymore. I also blow dried, which means maybe I need to lay off the heat now.

Since Monday was a holiday (Happy Africa Day to you!!!), I had a chance to do over my wash day without being in a rush. This time I shampooed with Infusium 23 sulfate free shampoo (to help clear up any dirt/buildup). Then I instant conditioned with a mix of Tresemme Naturals and African Pride Olive Oil Conditioner. My hair felt better immediately. I t-shirt dried for an hour and then airdried in the twists for another hour. I stretched my hair fully using African threading (after taking out the twists).

This wash day has made me realise I have to be careful with the ingredients in my products now. My hair no longer likes some of the old stuff so I have to adapt or experience more breakage.

Don't forget to join in the washday experience, and learn new techniques from the other participants.


And also, don't forget to enter the Bunaholic t-shirt giveaway. Remember, its for people in Zimbabwe only, entrants from other countries will be disqualified (unfortunately).

Have a great week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment