Monday, 2 June 2014

Wash Day Saga - Clarifying + Protein

Hello everyone!!! I hope you had a great weekend filled with wash day goodness, and all that jazz.

I had a great wash day. I decided to clarify, and do a protein treatment to try stop the breakage I have been experiencing for the past few weeks. Here's what happened:

1. Friday night, I decided to scare my boyfriend by telling him I wanted to shave off all my hair. The look in his eyes was just priceless, I wish I had taken a photo of him looking all scared when I said I wanted to be bald. Not a real wash day step I know, but a hilarious moment anyway.

2. On Saturday morning I finger detangled my hair in sections using Africa Prode Dream Kids Olive Oil Detangling conditioner. I would pick off a section of hair, apply the conditioner, and then detangle gently from ends to roots before braiding that section and moving on to the next. I ended up with 8 sections. I covered my hair with my processing cap and let everything marinate (my brother's term) for 3 hours.

3. I rinsed out the conditioner and shampooed with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, focusing mainly on the scalp before lathering up the ends. I rinsed out with warm water. My hair felt clean, but not stripped. I dried my hair with my turbie twist for 5 minutes.

4. I applied Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructer onto my hair, focusing mainly on my two lines of demarcation (straight/texlaxed, and texlaxed/natural). I let the treatment sit in my hair for 2 minutes before rinsing out with warm water. My hair felt soft, but I decided to kick up the hair TLC another notch.

5. I DC'ed with ORS Replenishing Conditioner. Its a light protein, but I didn't feel like it would cause protein overload since this time I mainly applied the conditioner to my new growth. And also the fact that I hadn't done a serious protein treatment in a while. I DC'ed for 4 hours while I helped my mum unpack.

6. I rinsed out the DC with warm water and t-shirt dried for 2 hours.

7. I started taking down the box braids I had washed my hair in, and applied my leave in (VO5 moisturizing leave in conditioner) and detangled with my wide tooth comb before threading that section to stretch my hair. I slept with my hair in threads. As I combed my hair, I realised I had cut down on the breakage and shedding (*big grin*). And my mum was in utter shock when she saw my hair stretched in the threads. Her words (translated from our home language) were "Are you colored (bi-racial), because that is not African hair". Yeah, my own mother said I have bi-racial hair (lengthwise) even though she knows I have no racial mix in my genes.

8. On Sunday morning, I took down the threads, and oiled my hair with Wild Growth Hair Oil and finger combed each section. I styled my hair into a low ponytail for church.

Overall, this was a good wash day. No dry hair after the wash, minimal shedding and breakage. Maybe I need to incorporate protein a bit more often than the once a month I have been doing. I keep forgetting I have 3 textures on my head and that makes my hair more fragile than it was when I was texlaxing.

So how was your washday? Join in the #washdayexperience linkup with KLP (Saving Our Strands) and Jen (Just Grow Already).


And also don't forget to enter my t-shirt giveaway. The giveaway is ending this week :)

Ciao,

7 comments:

  1. Lmao at the scare!
    Nice wash day. Sometimes a protein treatment makes all the difference.
    Pictures? I'd really love to see your hair :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very lazy about whipping out the camera but I will try to do piucs this weekend. Thanks for passing by :)

      Delete
  2. I bet your BF was terrified. Priceless moment. :-) What type of thread do you use for your hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is too attached to it. I should remind him who has the power :). Here we use the thread used for knitting to do threading. Apparently it is gentler on hair than sewing thread. Thanks for passing by

      Delete
  3. I bet your BF was petrified. Priceless moment. :-) What type of thread do you use for your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We both had the some MO this wash day! I have my hair a protein treatment too!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete