Thursday, 10 July 2014

Hair Crush Thursday - Shamim

Hey everyone. Thanks to the writers' block I had been experiencing, I got a new idea for the blog. I decided to start a hair crush series. So, my aim is each week (hopefully) to give you the hair stroy of someone who is taking good care of her hair. Almost all the stories will be of women (or men) of Zimbabwean descent, but I will also include stories of other nationalities because of the wide audience this blog has.

So to start of this series, I present to you my first victim volunteer, Shamim. I met her on Twitter, and she is currently based in South Africa. Here's her story...









Hi tell us a bit about yourself (and your hair)? You can go back in time if you wish J

Hey there, thanks for sharing my journey. So I hit the jackpot with the gene pool, my mom has some Arab infusion so my hair definitely is a bit exotic. Up until the age of 6 I had long natural that my mom babied with a hot comb and mabhanzi (The Zimbabwean name for African threading). Had to chop it all off for primary school and then I started growing it again at 13 and I struggled shem .It was slippery for cornrows, couldn’t wear it all bushy, I didn’t know what I was doing but thanks to the Grandmother who snatched an exotic man it sorted itself out in about 6 months. After that I wore my hair in pretty much the same style for years, slicked back pony tail. I got bored then went short early 2012 and I’ve been experimenting ever since..



What inspired you to start taking better care of your hair?
Maaaaaan, visuals are everything. All of a sudden I was seeing all these wonderful afros on Pintrest. I could just see myself rocking a killer fro, dressed in nothing but beads and tattoos *dreamy eyed*, but the ultimate inspiration for me was RupiahZa, she showed me how wonderful hair can be if you do your part. This hair wouldn’t be here without her..



What’s your hair care routine/regimen?
I don’t know if I would say I have one hey. Since I started taking care of my hair I’ve had it in braids and cornrows for every 6-8 weeks depending on how I’m feeling. So when I remove the braids I wash and condition with Dischem’s Protein Shampoo and Conditioner. Then I treat with Schwarzkopf’s Fibreforce Treatment, blow dry and plait. That is the only time I blow dry my hair.



















When I have braids in, I have a daily spritz which is distilled water, conditioner, sweet almond and grapeseed oil, rosewater and glycerin; this cleans my scalp and keeps me fresh. I wash my braids every 2 weeks and air dry them.

What hair goals have you achieved since you started?

With RupiahZa’s help I set out to achieve healthy, strong hair and look mama! I made it…



What are your goals for your hair now?
I don’t really have much in the way of goals cause I’m so easy going about my hair and I don’t want it to feel like a chore at the end of the day but  just between you and me, I get giddy every time I see how the length is coming along.


What’s the one thing you wish you knew when you started taking better care of your hair?
The fancier the product or regime does not bring about the best results. Patience and care are your best friends.

What are your favorite hair styles (everyday and special occasions)?
For now it’s braids in a messy bun but I have dreams of rocking that fro and killing it! Just wild nje.. lol


Who are your hair inspirations (online and real life)?
You are probably tired of her but RupiahZa is everything man, especially because her own hair is sublime. Other than that I don’t have any particular inspirations, but Pintrest is life-giving..

If you were stranded on a desert island, what 5 hair care items (products and tools) would you want to have?
Tangle teaser ,  my shampoo and conditioner, my fibreforce treatment and a headscarf.. Hang on, does water come as part of the island or do I need my own?

Can you tell us one funny/weird hair related experience you have had?
Scratched my head hard but I have none. But I will tell you something about me though, I am so scared of looking a fool or something going wrong so I research things to death before I do it. No room for error that way.. *winks

Where can we find you online?




@ShamimKelly on twitter and shamimkelly.wordpress.com



Thank you so much Shamim for taking part in this feature. I, for one, definitely can't wait to see how your hair comes along in the future.

If you also want to be featured, please email me on y.muzonzini@gmail.com and I will be in touch with the questions


4 comments:

  1. This seems like it will be a great series. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I can't see the pictures on this post.

    BTW, I nominated you for a Sunshine Blogger Award. Here are the details http://donttouchthehair.com/2014/07/sunshine-blogger-award/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I can't see the pictures either but keep em coming, this series would be lovely to read

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the pictures. I noticed it yesterday, and I couldn't fix it until today because of internet connection issues. I hope you can see the pictures now since I have updated them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea and wonderful post. Keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete