Monday, 7 July 2014

Wash Day Saga - featuring African Black Soap

Hey everybody!!!

I hope you had a great weekend. Mine was a bit of a bummer, first, I have tonsillitis and I can't eat much. And then I went a little psycho on the boyfriend thanks to PMS... I'm just glad its over now.

Anyway, despite the tonsillitis, I decided to go through with my wash day, although I tweaked the process a little this time.

I didn't prepoo since I knew that my new soap would not strip my hair, and make it drier than the Sahara and Kalahari together. So, here's what happened...

I did 6 big box braids to wash my hair in. Before plaiting each braid, I gently finger detangled. My hair was still moisturised from the previous week, so the detangling process went smoothly.

I washed my hair using Dudu Osun soap (African Black Soap). I started by first lathering the soap on my hands before massaging the lather into my scalp. But then I ended up rubbing the soap all over my scalp and hair, before thoroughly massaging it, and then rinsed off with very warm water. The soad gave so much slip that one of my box braids ended up getting undone. I just twisted up that section before wrapping my hair in my turbie twist to absorb excess moisture. When I took off the turbie twist and touched my hair, it felt like I had already done a DC, it was so soft and felt extra good. But I decided not to skip the DC stage this week even though I was tempted to do so. My compromise was applying ORS Replenishing conditioner onto my hair and let it sit for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.

I wrapped my hair in a t-shirt and left the t-shirt on for another 20 minutes. After this I applied my leave in (VO5 Moisturising Leave In) and sealed with castor oil. I did threading in order to stretch my new growth and texlaxed hair while it airdried. I did not use a comb while doing the sections for threading and detangling them.

I took down the threads on Sunday morning and my hair was, weirdly, not properly straightened. It felt like I had done a braidout or twist out coz my hair was curly. Really, really weird since I consider myself mostly a 4B/4C head with a few 4A sections. I just lightly moisturized with my VO5 leave in, sealed with castor oil and did a ponytail for Mass (so I could show of the curls). Since I have so much new growth, I had to do Jen's scarf method to lay my edges without using gel.

First impression of Dudu Osun soap: I just fell in love with this soap. I will probably use it again after I have clarified to see is effects on (fairly) clean hair. But so far, I love the way it cleansed my hair while still keeping it moisturized.

So, in all, I had a great wash day (compared to my abysmal weekend in general). How was your wash day?


10 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great soap. I would have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really awesome. It even stopped my hormonal acne in its tracks. I am going to use this soap exclusivley from now on

      Delete
    2. Yippee for shampoo bars!!! What are the ingredients in the Dudu Osun soap? It sounds like a winner!

      Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

      KLP | SavingOurStrands

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. I hope you feel a bit better now. It looks like Dudu Osun worked well for you. I use it for my skin and it's great. I tried it for my hair before but my hair didn't like it so much. I diluted it so maybe that was the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is awesome for skin. I am going to try it in different ways for my hair to see how I can use it more effectively

      Delete
  3. Sorry Yvette, tonsilitis is the worst. PMS turns me into a little monster so I can imagine what the combination did to you.
    Dudu osun sounds just about perfect for your hair, congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, the poor boy is still traumatised and doesn't know what hit him yet.

      I love Dudu osun already, I might even move to West Africa just to get a limitless supply :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you feel better soon. I used to have issues with my tonsils all the time when I was younger. I literally feel your pain. Sorry! I have a bar of black soap still in the package and I thought about using it for my last wash day but said no.
    Tiki | Grow It Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you feel better. I've had tonsilities (more than once, even) and it's no fun. Words cannot describe the pain. I don't use black soap...it's too drying for me.

    ReplyDelete