Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Wash Day Saga - Quickie Wash + Flexi Rod Set

Hi everyone,

So I did my wash day as usual on Saturday. My hair felt great from the last wash day, still very moisturized, and the new gowth was easy to detangle and manipulate. So I decided this weekend not to do a DC but a simple rinse out condition and to try to set my hair (again) using my flexi rods.

1. I warmed up my coconut oil and did a hot oil treatment for 3 hours. My hair was already in box braids that I was using for wigging.

2. I shampooed with a hotel brand conditioning shampoo. Since I had co-washed the week before, I needed to clean my scalp properly. So I only shampooed my scalp, I made sure my hair was kept away from the shampoo. I rinsed out the shampoo with warm water.

3. I conditioned with the African Pride Dream Kidz Olive Oil Moisturizing Detangling conditioner. I let the conditioner sit in my hair forabout 3 or so minutes before rinsing it out completely.

4. I t-shirt dried for about 30 monutes before starting to do my flexi rod set. Since my hair was in about 20 box braids, I decided to just use those sections for the flexi rod set. I just undid a box braids, finger detangled before applying my leave in (Twisted Sister curl activator), sealing with African Hot Six Oil, and completeing the LOC process by putting Nubian Nature Whipped Mango Butter on top. I decided to use Ecostyler gel as my product to hold the curls. Since I was applying a lot of stuff to my hair I used very little amounts so my hair wouldn't get too greasy or limp.I let the set airdry for the rest of the day and overnight.

5. I took down the flexi rods on Sunday morning as I was getting ready for church. Sorry, no pictures coz I woke up late, but The set did manage to hold this time. All I need to do now is perfect my setting technique since only the bone straight hair looked right (in my mind). I ended up doing a curly ponytail for church (again sorry no pictures). It actually looked great :)

I am off the wig regimen now. My boyfriend said he hated seeing me with weaves and wigs and prefers my own hair. So I guess, I need new protective styles that don't strain my own hair too much but that can still help me keep my hair healthy.I am back in buns, and I think I will stop using my ponytail holders and stick to ponytail cuffs (puff cuffs), claw clips and bobby pins for styling. I am still trying to transition to fully finger detangling, but its so hard to resist the combs.

So, how was your wash day?

4 comments:

  1. Once you go comb free---I promise that you won't want to go back. I have an awesome seamless comb that's super gentle on my strands but finger detangling is even better. Plus I think that finger detangling is protecting my ends better than anything else that I do.

    I'd love to see pics of your flexi-rod set! Flexi-rod curls are just gorgeous!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just realized how great finger detangling is. I think I'm going to hide all of my combs now, and really stick to finger detangling. Zero breakage so far :)

      Delete
  2. Haha! boyfriends and husbands always say that. I think summer is a great time to let the hair breathe too. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unfortunately, its winter here, so I'm wearing my hair ''out'' in buns and updos. I can't wait for summer

      Delete