Friday, 29 August 2014

Product Review: Dudu Osun (African Black Soap)

Finally, a review of my African black soap. I will review its effects on both my hair and skin.

Product: Dudu Osun soap
Click for larger picture
Price: $4 (any little shop in Harare selling skin lightening creams)


Ingredients:  Pure honey, Shea butter, Osun (Camwood), Palm kernel Oil, Cocoa pod ash, palm bunch ash, Aloe Vera, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Water and Fragrance.

My take: I have used Dudu Osun soap for almost 2 months now, mainly for washing my hair, but also sometimes for my skin when I get a bad case of hormonal acne. I will start with the skin review.

Effects on Skin: The Dudu Osun soap was useful for my acne in that if a zit was just starting to sprout and I washed my face with the soap, the zit would just retreat the next day. That was pretty much the best thing about this soap for me. The soap also promised to fade acne scars. Well, I didn't use it consistently enough  for me to gauge that. Maybe I should use it for 3 months consistently to see if it has any effects. I do have a lot of scarring I want to get rid of.

Effects on Hair: I really bought this soap to use on my hair as an alternative to shampoo. I don't like SLS free shampoos, but since I'm going natural, I need something that can cleanse my hair and scalp as effectively as an SLS shampoo, while not stripping my hair. I don't demand a lot, do I? :)

Well, the first time I used it, that soap was heaven in a bar. I mean curls were popping, hair felt so moisturised after washing that I almost skipped the DC. And that happened again and again, until I had to clarify because I had a bit too much scalp build up. So for cleansing hair, its great since it does not strip. However, since I like putting stuff onto my scalp (like oils), the soap couldn't manage to remove all the build up effectively.

I give the soap 3.5 thumbs up out of 5 for the results I got. I am definitely repurchasing the soap to continue to use for my hair and skin.





3 comments:

  1. I really like this soap. I use it for my skin all the time and it really helps it stay soft. I've only tried it for my hair once and I didn't like it. But I may try it again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I used this once on my skin a few years ago and I think it wasn't for me. But my brother loves it

    ReplyDelete