Monday, 25 August 2014

Wash Day Saga - Back to Basics

So my family crisis has finally calmed down. What was happening was my grandmother was very sick. She has been having a series of small strokes this year, and had a really major one 2 weeks ago. So she couldn't move at all, and most of our time at home was spent taking care of her. Things got so bad that she was admitted into hospital last week, but she came home on Saturday, and she is much better now. This means I am back on my blog again, and have time to search for new things to write about.

Wash day this week was pretty simple. I just decided to focus on the basics, and my hair turned out pretty well. Here's how my #washdayexperience went...

1. I did a coconut oil prepoo, and detangled my hair. As I finished detangling a section, I would braid it up. I ended up with 8 braids to wash in.

2. Washed my scalp with Dudu Osun African Black soap. I rinsed off using warm water. I washed twice, since I was trying to lift the build up on my scalp.

3. I DC'ed with Elasta QP DPR 11+ Deep Penetrating Remoisturizing conditioner. I left it in for a while (not sure how long).

4. I rinsed out the conditioner and wrapped my hair in a t-shirt. Then I had to take a nap because I was in pain (I injured my ankle while playing tennis on Friday).

5. I woke up a couple of hours later, took down a box braid, detangled, applied my leave in (Shea Miracle), detangled again and sealed with coconut oil before threading up the section. I air dried in African threading.

Results: My hair feels nicely moisturised (although I have to remoisturize my new growth a lot more now to prevent matting since I am not using combs.). I had missed the way coconut oil smells. I will be using it a lot more now since its getting warmer hotter here.

How did your wash day go?

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your grandmother is doing better. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your grandma is feeling better! Nice to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray your grandmother has a speedy and full recovery. You take care of yourself! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. I'm very glad that your grandmother is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hectic Yvette with your mbuya. I will be praying for you. Loved the hassle free wash day -you needed it.

    ReplyDelete