Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Wash Day Saga - Heat (Oh The Horror!!!)

I am so sorry about the lack of any posts besides the wash day experience ones. Life just got into the way over the past few weeks but I am definitely going to post a lot of stuff this week.

My wash day this week was influenced mainly by the fact that I was going to my cousin's live DVD recording. I really wanted my hair to look good for the telly (since these DVDs will be watched by a whole lot of people) and to also just look pretty since I went to the show with the boyfriend. I just wanted him to see me all glammed up for once (I am usually too lazy for anything more than a quick bun and some lipstick). So here's my #washdayexperience for you to enjoy.

I was off work sick on Friday, so I decided to do my wash day on Friday afternoon while it was warm.

1. I first finger detangled my hair, and put it into chunky box braids after detangling a section. I ended up with 10 box braids that I kept in for the entire wash.

2. I washed my hair with my Dudu Osun soap (aka African Black soap). I focused most of the lather on the scalp, but I ran a bit of it onto my ends to lift the gel and whatnot on my hair from the past week.

3. After rinsing out the soap, I did my DC with the Elasta QP DPR 11+ Deep Penetrating Remoisturizing Conditioner. This is a new product I picked up last week. First impressions were that it was nothing to write home about when I was applying it. I left it in for an hour or 2 under a plastic cap before rinsing out with warm water. I really wasn't expecting my hair to feel good after just this, but it felt awesome. Moisturized, soft and easy to get through.

4. I t-shirt dried for an hour while sunbathing (I had to stay warm tjo).

5. When my hair was just damp, I took down a box braid, finger detangled again, applied my leave in, African Pride Shea Butter Miracle Leave In Conditioner (another find from my haul), and sealed with the African Royale Hot Six Oil. Then I detangled again using my fingers before threading that section to air dry fully. I left the threading in overnight so that my hair could be really dry the next day.

6. The next morning I dusted off my flat iron, wide tooth comb and ORS heat protection serum. Yup, its been that long since I last used direct heat. Its also been more than a month since I used a comb to detangle. I took down a thread, and finger detangled before applying the heat protection serum. I combed the section before flat ironing it. I ended up doing about 5/6 passes per section. This is mainly because my flat iron is not that hot so 1 or 2 passes really don't do anything to my hair. 3 - 4 passes make me look like I did a blowout. I needed 5/6 passes to really straighten my hair. I also wasn't afraid of heat damage since I hadn't used another heat tool before, and its been ages since my last flat iron. My hair was straight but still had a bit of texture left.

After the flat iron my edges finally got laid for the first time in forever. I didn't want to wear my hair down, so I settled for a ponytail. My hair felt great :). Unfortunately, I don't have a very clear photo of the ponytail, I am bad at selfies.



On Sunday, my front had already started to revert. Sigh. I was hoping to rock straight hair for the next 2 weeks, but I don't think I will even end this week with straight hair since its already getting back to its usually lion's mane self.

Well, anyway, that's the last time I will use direct heat this year. I am going to hide my flat iron again and use it next year in June.

That's my entire wash day.

Don't forget to join the wash day experience linkup with Jen and KLP.

Peace and love,


8 comments:

  1. Aww sigh, troubles with keeping the hair straight. I have all but given up on straightening my hair, the weather is always against me. Am sure you looked sure cute for the DVD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given up on straight hair. My hair hates being forced out of what it grows as. I just need to learn to style my natural hair better :)

      Delete
    2. I have given up on straight hair. My hair hates being forced out of what it grows as. I just need to learn to style my natural hair better :)

      Delete
  2. The weather just won't quit. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if only I could just blame the weather, its not even humid yet here. We are still stuck in winter and my hair reverts faster than ice-cream melting in the summer :(

      Delete
  3. Your hair looks really good. I'd be lost without my tripod for selfies. I hope you're feeling back to your norm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humidity---I have a love hate relationship with it. I love it because my hair stays moisturized longer but I hate it when I want to maintain a sleeker style. I love how full your pony is! WORK IT!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep writing about your wash days Yvette. I am enjoying them a lot. and thanks for telling me about this link up you are doing. found lots of interesting blogs this week!

    p.s I have decided to stop silently stalking your blog and speak up occasionally.

    HHJ :)

    ReplyDelete