Monday, 1 September 2014

Wash Day Saga - Uncharted Territories

Hey!!!

So on the #washdayexperience linkup, our first washday challenge for September is to try out something different, be it a technique or a product. I decided to switch up my wash day (to save time) as well as try out a new rinse. Here's how my wash day went...

1. On Friday evening, I finger detangled my hair and applied my DC (Elasta QP DPR 11+) to my hair. I braided up each sections once the DC was on.

2. I covered with a shower cap and an old pair of stockings and went to bed :)

3. The next morning, I rinsed off the DC with warm water while ''scritching my scalp''. Scritching is a technique I picked up at the Long Hair Community. It simply involves rubbing your scalp using a brush or comb (or fingernails) to lift build up without using a shampoo or co-wash.

4. I decided to rob my aunts and use their beer stash for a beer rinse (don't tell them.) I used a can of Carling Black Label Lager (5.5% alcohol content)and just poured it over my hair. I didn't rinse it out, I simply t-shirt dried right after that.
my new (stinky) hair rinse
5. I applied my leave in (Shea Miracle) and sealed with coconut oil, before threading my hair to airdry fully.

6. I finally took down the threading on Sunday night. The beer rinse helped to lock in moisture into my hair (my hair was pretty moisturised, and felt soft). My new growth was very easy to detangle and I lost very little hair from shedding. Since the only new thing I used was the beer rinse, I must say that is what led to the reduced shedding

7. I decided to braid up my hair and start my wig regimen again until the end of September.

All in all, this wash day was a success. I probably won't do too many beer rinses since my family and friends would consider it a waste of good alcohol, and the smell lingers for a while. But I will try it when I have too much shedding that can't be cured by a tea rinse or a protein treatment.

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a beer rinse! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either! I already struggle with wasting perfectly good tea!

      Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

      KLP | SavingOurStrands

      Delete
  2. Did you use fresh beer straight from the can or was it flat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used fresh beer straight from the can. Beer isn't left alone long enough to go flat at my house :)

      Delete
  3. Interesting idea a beer rinse, I will do some reading on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another unique rinse I've heard about today! I know I will do some research about it later on but what are the benefits of doing a beer rinse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of a beer rinse before. I want to know some of the benefits too!

      Delete
    2. I ended up doing an entire post on beer rinse benefits because there was just so much :) http://hardmashonatype.blogspot.com/2014/09/beer-rinses-101.html

      Delete