Monday, 20 October 2014

Wash Day Saga - Clarifying/Chelating + Protein

OThis wash day was pretty simple and straight forward. But then again, my wash days are now becoming simple and straight forward. I am becoming lazier, and my hair seems to do better with less manipulation and processes.

This wash day, I decided to wash out all my build up, and do a protein treatment to haelp keep my relaxed ends in shape during my transition. I am now 11 months post :) . This is the longest I have gone without a relaxer after hitting puberty (TMI, I know).

Anyhoo, this is how my washday went down.


1. I finger detangled using coconut oil and braided up my hair into 10 sections. I covered with a shower cap overnight and let my hair absorb all the good stuff.

2. I shampooed my scalp with Dark and Lovely Precise After Relaxing conditioning shampoo. Its a neutralizing shampoo for no lye kits, so I thought it should be able to remove mineral buildup from my hair. I also shampooed my hair twice with the shampoo. Even after washing twice, my hair wasn't at the squeaky clean stage. Thank you coconut oil!!!

3. I did my protein treatment using Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor. I left it in for about 5 minutes before rinsing it out. My hair now felt a bit stiff, but not like I had protein overload.

4. After this, I instant conditioned using a moisturising conditioner I ''borrowed'' from my mum. I don't remember the name, but it has good ingredients so I thought it was safe to use. I rinsed it out, and my hair felt strong in a good way.

5. I t-shirt dried for 20 minutes. While my hair was still wettish, I applied my leave in (Shea Miracle Leave In conditioner) and sealed with the baobab oil I also ''borrowed'' from my mother. I had read good things about baobab oil on Black Girl Long Hair and when I saw it in my mom's bathroom, I saw it as a sign :"D (sorry mom).

6. I airdried my hair using African threading, but in the 10 sections I washed in instead of my usual 4. When I took down the threads on Sunday morning, my hair was smoother, curlier and easier to finger detangle. I loved the curls so much that I ended up going to church with a wild curly 'fro.



7. After church I had to put my hair up. I tried to do a proper halo braid, but couldn't make it look neat enough. So I ended up doing accent cornrows in the front for the rest of the week, and I will bun the rest of the hair. This looks more fun than my plain, boring ol' bun.





So, how did your wash day go?

1 comment:

  1. Your braids are so cute! That reminds me that I need to get back into my goddess braid-life!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete