Monday, 17 November 2014

Sisterhood of The World Bloggers Award



Sandra at Naija Girl Next Door nominated me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award. Now the rules of this award are:

1. Thank the blogger who nominated you, linking back to their site.
2. Put the award logo on your blog.
3. Answer their ten questions.
4. Make up ten new questions for your nominees
5. Nominate 10 bloggers

So Sandra had a single question instead of the 10 Her question was:
"Tell us about a part of you that you struggled with (maybe a habit, nose, shape, leg etc) and how you overcame the fear."

This question is supposed to help with developing self love and accepting ourselves the way we are. I also think this was an awesome idea, so the bolded is my question to you.

Well, as a teenager, I was insecure about a lot of things. My eyesight, being extremely short sighted is so not cool. My height, I hated standing out in a group of my peers (and I was almost always taller than the boys too) when all I wanted was to fit in. My lisp, even up to now, I still don't feel comfortable speaking in Shona (my mother tongue) because the lisp always seems worse in it. My skin, I wished for clearer, less acne covered areas of skin.

What helped change this was realising that even with these flaws, I still have good points that most people around me could kill for. I can eat obscene amounts of food and not really gain weight, my height means I have nice legs, I have a great speaking voice, I have not had any major academic problems, and I have had some really awesome, cool and funny friends. 

What really helped me was coming out of my shell in uni. Before uni, I was very quiet, hardly let anyone in, and that used to annoy some girls so much that they would try to tear me down by talking up my flaws so I can seem inadequate. When I went to uni, I had to come out of my shell since I went to uni in another country, and I only knew one person there. I had to open up, be friendly, and grow confident in myself and my abilities. And once this process started, it was now hard to hold me back. I knew with the right attitude and focus, I could be anything and do anything I wanted to. Which led me to do random stuff like campus radio (I was an Accounting major), organising campus events, joining AIESEC, working for some time in marketing and climbing Mt Kilimanjaro. And I am going to do even bigger things in the future so watch this space :)

This turned into a longer post than I anticipated. So my nominees are:

1. MaKupsy at makupsy.wordpress.com
2. Curlyeva at curlyeva.blogspot.com
3. Rae at crazyawesomerae.blogspot.com
4. Hadassah at nappilynigeriangirl.blogspot.com
5. Fatimah at hairequest.blogspot.com


I do not have the required number of nominees, but that's all I have. So go ahead ladies. You have been nominated


1 comment:

  1. The irony of life- some of us wanted more height, others wanted less.
    Your "random stuff" are so cool. You're def someone I'd like to meet

    ReplyDelete