Tuesday, 30 December 2014

2014 in Retrospect

Back in 2013, as the year ended I couldn't imagine being where I am now as we are about to close off 2014. Here are some of my top moments (hair and otherwise) of 2014.

1. I moved back to Zimbabwe permanently after 6 years of living in East Africa. I miss all my friends in Tanzania and Kenya, but it feels so good being home once more.

2. Getting a job. The job market world over is just hard to break into, but in Zimbabwe its even tougher. Managing to get a job without resorting to nepotism was a major achievement for me, and I am grateful to have a job at all.

3. Having my mother also move back to Zimbabwe. I was worried about her health when she lived all alone. And she was very lonely. So I was very happy when she moved back to Zim in June (and I guess you can tell I'm a big mama's girl)

4. Having my hair grow to BSB. That was a major achievement, because I never knew my hair could get that long. Even though I had to cut it back, I now know I can grow it looooong thanks to that.

5. Deciding to transition to natural. In 2013, I once said I loved my relaxed hair and wouldn't transition to natural because I find natural hair hard to care for. Fast forward to the end of 2014, and I am enjoying my transition.I now know how to care for my natural hair, and I find it to be a lot of fun (even though I am still styling impaired)

6. Reconnecting with old friends and making new friends. 2014 is the year I moved back to Zim and found out most of my friends were married or had kids. I had to come out of my shell, and start making new friends with similar interests. And I have enjoyed 2014 because of them

7. Becoming an aunt!!! My BFF had a baby girl in November, and the little munchkin is adorable. I was already an aunt, but this one is special, coz she truly shows how much my friends and I have grown up.

8. My grandma making it to the end of 2014. My grandma is alive and kicking despite the scare she gave us in August (she had a major stroke).

9. Being able to meet up with several ladies in the Zimbabwean hair community. Its good to know you're not an island of hair obsession :)

10. Being alive, and healthy, and able to look forward to a new year, and set new goals to achieve. Life is all about growth and development, and I am grateful I have been given another year to continue growing. Especially when I know so many people who didn't make it this far.

How was your 2014? What are you looking forward to in 2015?


2 comments:

  1. Awww this is a lovely post! Kudos on making new friends, that can be challenging.
    I'm such a mommy's girl too!
    I'm grateful for so much I can't squeeze into this comment. It's been quite a year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for moving back with family and friends + enjoying your transition to natural! Get it girl!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete