Monday, 29 December 2014

Last Wash Day of 2014 + Protective Style

Yeah. 2014 is almost over and thank the Higher Power that kept an eye out for me throughout the year.

My last wash day for the year was very protein rich because I decided to do a long term protective style. Here's how my wash day went:

1. Prepoo for about 30 minutes using coconut oil. My hair was already in box braids from the last wash, so I kept them in for the entire wash day

2. Shampoo with Dark and Lovely Neutralizing shampoo. I still had this from my relaxer days and I couldn't let it go to waste.

3. Protein treatment using Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructer. I left it on for about 10 minutes before rinsing out and wrapped hair in a t-shirt to mop up excess water

4. Deep conditioning treatment using ORS Hairepair Nourishing Conditioner Pak. This is my best discovery of 2014. I left the DC on for 3 hours under my deep conditioning cap

5. I rinsed out the DC using cold water to seal the hair cuticles and shock my scalp back to life. Then I wrapped my hair in a t-shirt to absorb excess water again

6. Once my hair was not sopping wet, I took down a section of box braids, finger detangled, applied leave in conditioner, detangled again with a wide tooth comb and then sealed with baobab oil and threaded up the section. I ended up with four sections of threading.


So on Saturday, I decided to get my hair weaved up, since the girl who was supposed to do my braids wasn't available. I had two packs of Xpressions deep wave hair (synthetic) that my mother had gifted me with last year. I went to the salon I went to the last time I got my weave sewn in, and luckily the same stylist was available. Her name is Bertha and she's at the Hair 2000 salon on Kwame Nkrumah Avenue close to Park Street. What I like about Bertha is she doesn't mind you telling her how to handle your hair. Like I told her not to make the cornrows too tight, and she did that. She was also great at detangling my mostly natural hair. She was very gentle, used a wide tooth comb, and combed from the ends to the roots. I also noticed that most of the stylists in that salon had healthy looking hair, though I can't say as much for most of the clientele.

It took an hour for the cornrows to be braided down, and the tracks sewn in. Its a full sew in weave, no leave out, and I intend to keep it in for four weeks. I will soon post about how I am taking care of my scalp and hair under the weave.

So how was your wash day?

1 comment:

  1. Stylists that value healthy hair are SOOOO hard to find girl! You're soo lucky!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete