Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Wash Day: Back to Basics

Hiya everybody.

I know I owe you a lot of posts (the hair meet up post and several others) and I promise, I will do them all this week and start posting regularly again.

So during my last wash day, I decided to go back to the basics that got me through the first year of my transition. This is how my wash day went

1. On Friday night, I finger detangled after applying baobab oil to my hair. Then I sectioned off my hair, applied conditioner (new product soon to be reviewed) and braided up the section. I ended up with 6 sections in total.

2. I did an overnight DC of my conditioner mixed with baobab oil.

3. I rinsed out the conditioner with warm water on Saturday morning. Then I washed my scalp using Dudu Osun African Black Soap, and rinsed with lukewarm water.

4. Wrapped my hair in a t-shirt for 30 minutes so that the excess water could be blotted from my hair.

5. I took down a box braid, applied my leave in (ORS Curls Unleashed Take Command Curl Creme) and sealed with coconut oil. Then I detangled using my wide tooth comb, and threaded up the section.

6. I let my hair air dry for the rest of Saturday in the threading. When I took down the threading on Sunday morning, my hair was still damp. So I decided to seal in that extra bit of moisture using vaseline on the last 3 inches of my hair. This has really helped because I don't have as much breakage from my ends as I did before.

That was my wash day. How did your wash day go?

3 comments:

  1. That's great that the vaseline worked well for you. At times petroleum based products get a bad rap, mineral and petroleum are excellent sealants but sometimes they can be a little too good. This post from Black Hair Kitchen talks more about mineral oil and vaseline. Everything you need to know about mineral oil

    My wash day was good. The post should come out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. You got this transition down pat.
    My wash day went well too. I'm hoping I can have my post up by tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was natural vaseline was my favourite product to use on my hair.

    I wish I knew then what I know now! It would be hair up to my butt and all (haha!)

    ReplyDelete