Monday, 16 February 2015

Wash Day Saga - CoWash and Twists

Helllllllloooooo....


Thank you so much for all the get well soon messages, I am definitely feeling better now, and full of energy.

And this even showed during my wash day. Although I just cowashed, I actually put my hair into medium sized twists this weekend. Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself now. Here's how my wash day went...

The #WashDayExperience

1. On Friday night, I mixed up the last of my L'Oreal El Vive Total Repair DC, two moisturising conditioners in my stash and coconut oil. I just laid the mix onto my box braids, covered my hair with a shower cap and scarf and went to bed.

2. On Saturday morning, I rinsed out the conditioner mix, and really focused on cleansing my scalp with the conditioner, and making sure its all rinsed off.

3. I wrapped my hair in a t-shirt to absorb the excess water.

4. When my hair was damp, I took down a box braid, applied my leave in (ORS Curls Unleashed Take Command Curl Creme) and sealed with vaseline before detangling using a wide tooth comb. I then divided the section of hair into two sections, and twisted them up into two twists. I did this until I ended up with about 32 medium sized twists.
Two weeks worth of shed hair + the inevitable breakage compared to a KSh 1 coin


My twists, not too neat but its a protective style


The twists mean I'm still protective styling under a wig. And I think I have figured out why I had a lot of breakage. Its because I have been keeping my hair in a stretched state most of the time. JC at Natural Haven Bloom did an article on why keeping your hair stretched too much is bad. Having figured out why this is my problem, I have to make a few decisions. My hair is very high shrinkage (it goes from APL to about 1 or 2'') and if I'm wearing my hair loose, I honestly have to keep it stretched so I can style in a bun or something. And I love wearing my hair loose, I am not a fan of long term protective styles. So the choice I have to now make is to decide whether:

a. to cut off all my relaxed/texlaxed ends and remain with fully natural hair that I wear in short styles
b. to get my hair loc'ed
c. to return to texlaxing

I honestly don't feel like short hair. The last time I had short hair I quickly weaved it up because I could not stand myself in short hair (May 2012 when I BC'ed from double processing damage).

My family and a few friends want me to loc my hair. Its a viable alternative, but I like my hair loose and locs take yeeeaaaars to gain length. My mum has been loc'ed for 4 years and hers are now shoulder length. I am definitely not a fan of that.

I have been leaning more towards option 3, returning to texlaxing. I do know how to look after my hair when its texlaxed, and it really thrived during the year (2013, when I started the blog) that I texlaxed, and I got to APL from NL. Even with a number of setbacks such as breakage, overprocessing and moisture overload.

I am pretty positive I will texlax soon. However, I am going to consider for a while whether I truly want to take this step. Watch this space for updates.

How was your wash day?

7 comments:

  1. Take your time and make the decision for you alone! You got this chica!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely taking my time. But at least hair grows :). I may end up transitioning better the next time I transition

      Delete
  2. Awww *sob* I get it though. Your hair is your hair and should always do what you want it to. Good luck with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I know, it was fun transitioning together. Yup, I have made up my mind, back to the relaxer kits for me

      Delete
  3. It is always good to know your limit; hopefully you make the right decision for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. even though i am one of your texlaxed followers.. have you tried the max hydration method? its like a way to wear the hair in its curly state? if u on max hydration you would rarely stretch your hair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out the max hydration method and I don't think I can manage it because of the items needed, and the time you have to put into it. I really don't have time to wash my hair everyday. So, I'm thinking texlaxing again might be the way to go

      Delete