Tuesday, 3 February 2015

Wash Day Saga - Fighting Temptation

This wash day came and went, and its making me question a lot about whether transitioning was the right choice. Here's what happened:

The #WashDayExperience

1. I had oiled my hair with coconut oil in the morning when I went to work. In the evening, I took down my bun, did a scalp massage with Miconazole nitrate, slathered on my DC (L'Oreal El Vive Total Repair 5) and covered in my shower cap and scarf overnight.

2. I rinsed out the DC and then I clarified using ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo making sure my scalp was clean, and lathering the hair too in order to remove any mineral buildup from our hard water.

3. I did my protein treatment using the Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner for Dry, Damaged hair that I got at the Healthy Hair meet up in December. It was a small sachet, and I really didn't feel as if it had penetrated all my strands. I left it on for 5 minutes before rinsing off

4. I conditioned using Silkness Nourish and Protect conditioner. This is my moisturizing instant conditioner so I used it to help intensify the moisture levels in my hair. I left it on for 5 minutes before rinsing off.

5. I wrapped my hair in an old t-shirt so that excess moisture can be absorbed.

6. When my hair was now damp, I sealed my hair using vaseline, and then I sectioned off an area of hair. At this stage my loose hair had shrunk from 7'' to between 1/2'' and 1''. I applied more vaseline to the section and finger detangled before braiding up that section. I ended up with about 20 box braids.

7. This week I am protective styling under a wig. I have been experiencing a lot of short strand breakage especially when ever I detangled my hair, or when I undid my bun in the evening. In fact, I have had so much breakage, I have failed to retain length for about 3 months now. I am actually considering going back to texlaxing, since I could manage my texlaxed hair better, and had very good length retention.

I am wigging throughout February, and at the end of the month, I will asserss my hair and see if I am experiencing excessive breakage. If I am, I will definitely relax at the end of March/beginning of April. If I retain length, I will continue protective styling and see how much length I will retain by June. I really hope I didn't cause a setback by transitioning when I can't manage to retain length in my natural hair.

Sigh.

Anyway, how was your #washday experience?

6 comments:

  1. Is vaseline a good choice to seal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like vaseline. It seals in moisture fr longer and I really do not moisturise and seal during the week. And since I wash my hair with warm water, its easy to wash off even if I cowash

      Delete
  2. How many inches of new growth vs process hair do you have? Maybe you should try a stronger protein treatment to help with the breakage. I use the Giovanni Smooth as Silk as my co-wash conditioner and it does not have that much protein in it to to make it as effective for a protein treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 7 inches of natural hair and one inch of processed (texlaxed hair) in the front and no processed hair everywhere else. I just noticed it doesn't have much protein. I will look for something else to use

      Delete
  3. Your hair looks long in your profile pic above :) Maybe you need a stronger protein treatment to stop the breakage, like aPhogee, or try using eggs (I have never used eggs before but I hear it does a relatively good job).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the breakage you are experiencing. I agree with the other comments, maybe a protein treatment will help with it.

    All the best!
    Lungi @ HHDC

    ReplyDelete