This wash day came and went, and its making me question a lot about whether transitioning was the right choice. Here's what happened:
1. I had oiled my hair with coconut oil in the morning when I went to work. In the evening, I took down my bun, did a scalp massage with Miconazole nitrate, slathered on my DC (L'Oreal El Vive Total Repair 5) and covered in my shower cap and scarf overnight.
2. I rinsed out the DC and then I clarified using ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo making sure my scalp was clean, and lathering the hair too in order to remove any mineral buildup from our hard water.
3. I did my protein treatment using the Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner for Dry, Damaged hair that I got at the Healthy Hair meet up in December. It was a small sachet, and I really didn't feel as if it had penetrated all my strands. I left it on for 5 minutes before rinsing off
4. I conditioned using Silkness Nourish and Protect conditioner. This is my moisturizing instant conditioner so I used it to help intensify the moisture levels in my hair. I left it on for 5 minutes before rinsing off.
5. I wrapped my hair in an old t-shirt so that excess moisture can be absorbed.
6. When my hair was now damp, I sealed my hair using vaseline, and then I sectioned off an area of hair. At this stage my loose hair had shrunk from 7'' to between 1/2'' and 1''. I applied more vaseline to the section and finger detangled before braiding up that section. I ended up with about 20 box braids.
7. This week I am protective styling under a wig. I have been experiencing a lot of short strand breakage especially when ever I detangled my hair, or when I undid my bun in the evening. In fact, I have had so much breakage, I have failed to retain length for about 3 months now. I am actually considering going back to texlaxing, since I could manage my texlaxed hair better, and had very good length retention.
I am wigging throughout February, and at the end of the month, I will asserss my hair and see if I am experiencing excessive breakage. If I am, I will definitely relax at the end of March/beginning of April. If I retain length, I will continue protective styling and see how much length I will retain by June. I really hope I didn't cause a setback by transitioning when I can't manage to retain length in my natural hair.
Anyway, how was your #washday experience?