That's a bit of a shocker in the title I know. Less than a year ago, I was all excited about starting my transitioning journey, and now I'm talking about a relaxer preparation wash day. It seems like my mind has been made up now, the only thing left is to buy my relaxer kit and texlax my hair. But first let me take you through my wash day.
1. I soaked my twists in coconut oil and let it soak into my hair the whole day on Friday.
2. On Friday night, I applied the rest of the DC mix from my last wash day and covered it in my shower cap and scarf for an overnight DC session.
3. The next morning, I rinsed out the DC using cold water, and massaged my scalp to lift the conditioner. To really remove the buildup and gunk on my scalp, I shampooed with Palmolive Classic Green Apple shampoo for normal hair. I got this shampoo from my mom who was getting rid of her stash since she now goes to a loctitian for all her haircare. Its a sulfate shampoo, and I only used it on my scalp to get it clean.
4. After rinsing off the shampoo, I wrapped my hair in an old t-shirt to abosrb excess water for about an hour.
5. I started taking down two twists, detangling them, applied a leave in (ORS Curls Unleashed Take Command Curl Creme) and sealed with vaseline. I then retwisted the hair into one chunky twist. I did this until I had about 16 chunky twists in my hair. I airdried my hair in the chunky twists.
6. I originally wanted to leave my hair in the chunky twists while I wore wigs this week, but I realised I had serious matting after only one week in medium sized twists. I decided to cornrow my hair into 8 (untidy) cornrows. The cornrows are not too bad, but they are definitely not for public viewing. I am still wearing my wigs on top.
I am planning on doing my relaxer on Staurday. I am just going to mildly texlax using the ORS no lye box kit. I originally wanted to do it on the 7th, but my cousin is getting her lobola paid on that date, so I have to do it before. If I do not manage to relax on Saturday, I will do it on the 14th. But the decision is made. I am definitely going to relax again.
How was your wash day?