Monday, 23 February 2015

Wash Day Saga - Relaxer Prep (?)

Hey everybody,

That's a bit of a shocker in the title I know. Less than a year ago, I was all excited about starting my transitioning journey, and now I'm talking about a relaxer preparation wash day. It seems like my mind has been made up now, the only thing left is to buy my relaxer kit and texlax my hair. But first let me take you through my wash day.
The #WashDayExperience
1. I soaked my twists in coconut oil and let it soak into my hair the whole day on Friday.

2. On Friday night, I applied the rest of the DC mix from my last wash day and covered it in my shower cap and scarf for an overnight DC session.

3. The next morning, I rinsed out the DC using cold water, and massaged my scalp to lift the conditioner. To really remove the buildup and gunk on my scalp, I shampooed with Palmolive Classic Green Apple shampoo for normal hair. I got this shampoo from my mom who was getting rid of her stash since she now goes to a loctitian for all her haircare. Its a sulfate shampoo, and I only used it on my scalp to get it clean.

4. After rinsing off the shampoo, I wrapped my hair in an old t-shirt to abosrb excess water for about an hour.

5. I started taking down two twists, detangling them, applied a leave in (ORS Curls Unleashed Take Command Curl Creme) and sealed with vaseline. I then retwisted the hair into one chunky twist. I did this until I had about 16 chunky twists in my hair. I airdried my hair in the chunky twists.

6. I originally wanted to leave my hair in the chunky twists while I wore wigs this week, but I realised I had serious matting after only one week in medium sized twists. I decided to cornrow my hair into 8 (untidy) cornrows. The cornrows are not too bad, but they are definitely not for public viewing. I am still wearing my wigs on top.

I am planning on doing my relaxer on Staurday. I am just going to mildly texlax using the ORS no lye box kit. I originally wanted to do it on the 7th, but my cousin is getting her lobola paid on that date, so I have to do it before. If I do not manage to relax on Saturday, I will do it on the 14th. But the decision is made. I am definitely going to relax again.

How was your wash day?

8 comments:

  1. You're right. I was shocked reading the title but I'm sure the decision is the right one for you. You know what's best for you. I hope it goes well. I use ORS no-lye and it gives pretty consistent results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its going to be my first time using it. I have always used Dark and Lovely. Does it give you texlaxed results without mixing in conditioner or oil?

      Delete
  2. I was waiting to see after your last post on being at a crossroads with your hair. Just do you dear. You alone know how best to wear your own hair.
    What's lobola by the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. I am still rooting for you in your transition :) Lobola is brideprice or dowry. Not sure what term you use in Naija,

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that you made a decision that works for you chica! Afterall---you can big chop/transition whenever you want to again. LOL.

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts too. I am likely to get bored again with relaxed hair and might end up transitioning again and sticking to it. At least I know I can do it now :)

      Delete
  4. You know what's best for your tresses. We'll be looking out for the relaxer update, though I was hopping to see more of you natural hair. Congrats on your cousin's upcoming marriage, seeing as lobola is already underway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bee. You might see the natural hair back after a long while. I know the mistakes I made this transition that made keeping up with natural hair impossible. But I'm an on/off natural, so give me a few years to reach my goals and the natural hair will be back.

      Thank you!!!

      Delete