Monday, 9 March 2015

Wash Day Saga - Chelating Wash day + Bonus Mid Week CoWash

Last week, I ended up doing two washes. A midweek cowash to boost my moisture levels after my relaxer, and a chelating shampoo day to remove any mineral deposits that may have been left in my hair after my wash day.

Here's my wash day experience...
The #WashDayExperience
Midweek CoWash

On Tuesday night, I did an overnight DC with the Silkness Nutrition and Repair conditioner + coconut oil. I rinsed it out with cold water on Wednesday morning, and t-shirt dried to about 60%, before sealing with baobab oil and damp bunning for work. My hair looked extra sleek on Wednesday, a co-worker even commented on how my hair looked extra sleek.

Chelating Wash day

1. On Friday evening I did the GHE overnight using a tiny bit of baobab oil. My goal was to boost the moisture levels of my strands and move sebum down my hair before my shampoo use. I also finger detangled and braided my hair into 8 sections.

2. On Saturday morning, I shampooed (while in braids) with ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo. I first thoroughly cleansed my scalp, before working the lather onto my ends. I rinsed out the shampoo with warm water, and let the water drip before applying my DC.

3. I DC'ed with ORS Replenishing Conditioner. This is one of my Holy Grail products, I love the slip of this conditioner. I deep conditioned for an hour using body heat under 2 shower caps.

4. I rinsed out the 50% of the conditioner with cold water. I then wrapped my hair in a t-shirt to absorb excess water.

5. When my hair was damp, I would take down a braid and apply my leave in (ORS Take Command Curl Defining Creme) before sealing with coconut oil. I then detangled using a wide tooth comb, before rebraiding that section. I left my hair to fully air dry.

6. I decided to try to straighten my hair for an official length check. I wanted to use my mom's flat iron which is better than mine, but it was broken. So I just settled for one pass (with lots of heat protectant), and my hair really didn't get straight. I ended up doing the ''pull a bit of hair'' length check
Starting Length for my fully texlaxed journey

My hair is currently sitting just under line 1 in the pic, but its actually at line 2 (this method of length check is really painful, esp if you're snapping your own pic as well, fyi). Short term length goal is line 4 aka APL by the end of June.  Year end length goal is line 7, which is grazing BSL.

My next length check will be in September when I do my touch up, so I don't get too obsessed with achieving length goals at the expense of health.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're having an easier time with styling now. Here I am still fighting to bun my new growth. Lol.
    I'm cheering you on with your goals. Can't wait to see your progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra at least you are great with styling. I have styling envy here. Can't wait to see you fully natural :)

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to read more about your texlaxed journey chica! Do you plan on sticking to wearing wigs to protective style?

    PS. what is baobab oil?

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KLP. Yes, I definitely plan to wig, especially in winter. And since I will be doing long stretches, wigging is definitely a major part of my regimen.

      Baobab oil is an oil expressed from the seeds of the baobab tree (a tree found over most of sub-Saharan Africa). Its a deep yellow like olive oil, and it has a smell similar to avocado oil. This link bleow explains better the benefits of baobab oil

      http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/ingredients/what-is-baobab-oil/

      Delete