Monday, 2 March 2015

Wash Day Saga - Relaxer Day

The relaxer finally happened. After 68 weeks of no relaxers and attempting to transition, I went back to what I know better (for the time being).
The #WashDayExperience
I self relaxed at home, using the ORS Olive Oil No Lye box kit for fine to medium textures. Here's what I did...
My relaxer kit + additions

1. On Friday night, I based my scalp with Vaseline and thoroughly detangled my hair using my wide tooth comb. I divided my hair into 4 sections, and braided it to prevent tangling overnight.
How I braided my hair overnight to prevent tangling

2. On Saturday morning, I prepared my mid step protein treatment. I decided to do a gelatin treatment. I mixed 75g of flavoured jelly powder with 125ml of warm water and stirred it until the gelatin dissolved. I then left the mix to cool.

3. I mixed the relaxer with the activator. When it was properly mixed, I added a tablespoon of coconut oil since my intention was to texlax and leave my hair with a lot of texture. I took down the braids, lightly finger detangled, and applied coconut oil to the entire hair strand before clipping up the hair into 4 sections. I also coated my ears with Vaseline

4. I applied the relaxer first to the roots, starting from the back sections and ending with the front sections. I then applied relaxer to the ends and smoothed. Application and smoothing of relaxer took 10 minutes.

5. I rinsed out the relaxer from my hair. As I was rinsing out, I could see that my hair still had a lot of texture. #win

6. I then did my mid step gelatin treatment. I applied the gloopy jelly onto my hair, making sure I got every strand. My hair immediately felt hard so I quickly rinsed out the jelly.

7. I neutralized using the ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo pak that came with with the relaxer. The pak was enough for 4 neutralizing shampoos. I left in the last 3 shampoos for 2 minutes before rinsing out.

8. I deep conditioned with a mix of ORS Replenishing Conditioner pak, Silkness Nutrition and Repair conditioner and coconut oil for 30 minutes using body heat (under 2 shower caps). I rinsed out with cold water and wrapped my hair in a t-shirt to absorb excess water.

9. When my hair was damp, I applied my leave in (ORS Curls Unleashed Take Command Curl Creme). I wanted to do a flexi rod set, but unfortunately we had just had a power cut, and I was late for choir practice. So I simply sealed with baobab oil, and detangled with a wide tooth comb before damp bunning.

Results: Very wavy texlaxed hair. But the beauty is that I can now easily bun without using a lot of tensio unlike when my hair was mostly natural. I also ended up trimming off some ends, bringing my length to line 2 of my length check shirt which is collar bone length. No pics yet, but hopefully will do one with my length check shirt soon.

My short term goal is to retain, retain and retain to APL (which is 2 inches away) by bunning consistently and deep conditioning twice a week. I hope to be APL by June.

So how did your wash day go?

6 comments:

  1. Wow I never heard of a gelating treatment before! What are the benefits please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gelatin treatment is just a hard protein treatment (that is also super convenient if you cannot find a hard protein). A major advantage is that gelatin is hydrolysed collagen, so the protein is easily absorbed by the hair strand unlike other home made protein treatments

      Delete
    2. Oh I get it now thanks

      Delete
  2. What made you decide to end your transition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was experiencing too much breakage when I tried to bun (my go to protective style). And my office is pretty conservative, so that's the only style I could do for work. I think I cut off too much hair too soon. My plan now is to first achieve my length goals with texlaxed hair before transitioning again

      Delete
  3. Wow Yvette i missed out on a lot hey. Welcome back to the world of relaxed hair girl. I m sure you enjoyed the transitioning journey it was also very good to learn from you throughout the journey. As always Happy healthy hair journey

    ReplyDelete