Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Wash Day - Lazy Again

Well, I am going to up my blog posts next week. I suddenly have more time on my hands and I can blog again :)

My most recent wash day was very lazy again. My hair felt waxy and I had a lot of build up from so many weeks of only DCing or co-washing that I had to break out the shampoo bottle. Here's what happened...
The #WashDayExperience
On Good Friday, I did a water rinse to just up my moisture levels. And I was going to do the Way of the Cross in scorching heat, so I had to give my hair a little love. After the water rinse, I sealed with a little coconut oil, and damp bunned.

On Sunday, I decided I couldn't take it anymore, and decided to shampoo my hair. However, I didn't have time to deep condition, so I decided to hunt around the house for the most nourishing oil around. I ended up kidnapping my mom's oil.

First I shampooed using ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo. This shampoo also chelates, so I killed two birds with one wash :). I washed my hair while it was loose, to cleanse it thoroughly. I mainly focused on cleansing my scalp, although I also lathered my ends to get rid of the build up. I only did one lather, to prevent stripping my hair, snce I didn't have time to deep condition.

I skipped deep conditioning (which I really won't advise anyone to do). I felt like I could afford to skip the DC step because:

1. my hair wasn't stripped after my shampoo
2. I was going to use a nourishing oil to seal, and
3. I wasn't going to wear my hair out or manipulate it much this week.

So after washing, I simply wrapped my hair in a t-shirt to absorb the excess moisture. And while my hair was still damp I applied the Shea Oil I had lifted from my mom's room. This oil has shea butter, coconut oil, lavender oil and eucalyptus oil, so I figured it will nourish my hair enough for my next wash day. I let my hair airdry loose for a while, before braiding it into my faux crown braid (2 cornrows around the edge of my head). I am keeping this style in until my next wash day.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my hair's health at the moment. I am experiencing minimal breakage, and retaining length well. My hair is also retaining moisture well, which is very important as we go into winter here. I need to start thinking about how to winterize my regimen this year. I already bought my castor oil, but I still need something else to use as a growth aid.

So how was your wash day?

2 comments:

  1. I primarily use peppermint oil as my growth aid! It's supposed to support blood circulation and I've noticed an increase in growth each month when I use it as a hot oil treatment. I would recommend it! Happy Growing!

    Kenya | With My Coils

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for minimal breakage! In the winter, I load up on moisturizers and butters, especially for my ends! I'd love to see your faux crown braids. They sound darling!

    Thanks for sharing your #washdayexperience chica!

    KLP @ SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete