Friday, 18 March 2016

Setback 1 of 2016

Hey everyone.

So I have a hair update for y'all and its not pretty.

Remember my Twists update? Well what I didn't mention was that when I tok down the box braids I had a lot, I mean a lot of shedding. I have enough hair on my head for 3 or 4 people, and I shed what seemed like 2 headfuls of hair.

Anway, I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because my densty didn't feel different. And I thought it was 3 weeks of shedding. But when I took down the twists on Sunday (I had a migraine, and thought taking the twists out would help), I realised that my usual thickness had disappeared. And my hair was approaching BSB and now it seemed to be just beyond SL. I didn't take pictures at the time, because I was honestly depressed.

But after a DC and co-wash session I evaluated my hair. The results of my evaluation were:

1.  My hair density has gone down. I miss my thickness. And I want it back
2. My length actually hasn't disappeared that much. I'm still hovering at APL but with less splits since it seems I shed out the split strands


After the evaluation, I came up with my plan of action. The heavy shedding has stopped now, I'm back to normal amounts of shedding. Which means the shedding must have been caused by my painkiller use after I got injured in February. I found an article that explained how some painkillers cause hair loss. So now thatI know its not anything caused by my health, I can now work on getting my hair back. My plan is to:

1. Stop long term protective styling for now. My hair needs plenty of babying, and I can do that better when my hair is out.

2. Use a growth aide. I bought T444Z and started using my sulfur oil mix again to stimulate hair growth

3. Daily multivitamin, to make sure I'm getting all the necessary nutrients

4. Exercise

5. Strictly finger detangling

6. Stretch my relaxer longer tan the planned 6 months. Right now, my next relaxer is planned for 1 year post, but I may extend the stretch

Hopefully, all this will get my hair growing again. What have you done to get your hair back after a major shed?

5 comments:

  1. Ohhh chica! Shedding stinks! I've been there before and I know how frustrating it can be. But it looks like you have a really good plan of action.

    Good luck!

    KLP @ www.savingourstrands.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement KLP. I hope it works out well

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry, I know shedding can be a pain. I hope you recover soon.

    https://naturallykinkyme.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lebo. It seems like things are working already.

      Delete
  3. So sorry about the setback Yvette, but there is always something to learn and improve on going forward. I hope it goes well this time round!

    ReplyDelete